I currently run courses for teaching and support staff in schools. These courses focus on ‘Effective Listening’, assertiveness training and team-building. The emphasis is on;
- using specific communication skills to encourage others’ autonomy
- raising self awareness and understanding of what drives us to behave and respond as we do
- using the above to improve our communication with children, colleagues and family members
- recognising that to be ‘task-centred’ (getting the job done) we first have to be ‘person-centred’ which is about really attending to the individual’s feelings so s/he feels ‘heard’ and understood and so
- how to help children increase their self esteem and confidence, thus ‘performing’ more effectively.
Below, is an example of student feedback statistics from one course.